Richard J. Lambert
RICHARD J. LAMBERT is a founding partner in the law firm of Dunn Lambert, L.L.C. in Paramus, New Jersey. Mr. Lambert founded the firm in July of 1998 in order to cater to the legal needs of small to mid-sized businesses, their owners and executives.
Mr. Lambert was born in White Plains, New York, on May 4, 1953. He attended Fordham University, where he received his B.A. in Communication Arts, and Fordham University School of Law, where he received his Juris Doctor degree in 1979.
Mr. Lambert is a business lawyer who serves as outside general counsel to a wide range of businesses, including many small to middle-market companies and start-up businesses, in a variety of industries. In his role as outside general counsel, Mr.Lambert provides counsel on the broad range of legal subjects affecting business, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and financings; antitrust and distribution law; banking and commercial finance; employment law; contracts; trademarks; and the negotiated resolution of business disputes.
The clients of Dunn Lambert, L.L.C. are located primarily in New Jersey and New York, but the firm does maintain general counsel relationships with clients in other states in the United States and in Europe.
Mr. Lambert was most recently a partner in the Corporate Law Department of Norris, McLaughlin & Marcus in Somerville, New Jersey.
Before joining Norris, McLaughlin & Marcus in January, 1993, Mr. Lambert was a partner (1990-1993) in the firm of Weiner Lesniak, Roseland, New Jersey. Mr. Lambert headed the Financial Transactions Division of the firm's Corporate Law Department, with responsibility for managing the firm's relationships with banks and other financial institutions.
Prior to joining Weiner Lesniak, Mr. Lambert was an associate (1982-1985) and partner (1985-1990) in the firm of Gutkin, Miller, Shapiro & Selesner in Millburn, New Jersey. Mr. Lambert was Co-Chair of the firm's Corporate Law Department.
Mr. Lambert commenced his career as an associate (1979-1982) in the firm of Arthur, Dry & Kalish, New York, New York. While at Arthur, Dry & Kalish, Mr. Lambert specialized in corporate and business law, as well as litigation, including antitrust, complex commercial and product liability litigation in state and federal courts.
Mr. Lambert has served as Chairman of the Corporate Law Section of the Essex County Bar Association. He is a frequent writer and speaker on business law subjects.
Mr. Lambert is a member of the bars of New Jersey and New York, and is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for New Jersey and the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York.
Mr. Lambert is a former Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Foundation for Free Enterprise (www.fffe.org).
Areas of Practice
- Business & Commercial Law
- Business Organizations
- Banking & Finance Law
- Mergers, Acquisitions & Divestitures
- Employment Law -- Employer
- Employment Law -- Employee
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- New York, 1980
- New Jersey, 1980
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1980
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1982
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1982
- Fordham University School of Law, New York, New York
- Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1979
- Honors: Dean's List
- Fordham University, New York, New York
- Bachelor of Arts - 1973
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Communication Arts
- "Joint Ventures: Strategic Alliances", Commerce Magazine, July, 1986
- "Joint Ventures: Negotiating Pitfalls and Opportunities", Commerce Magazine, August, 1986
- "Setting Prices: Introduction to Robinson - Patman Price Discrimination", Commerce Magazine, October, 1986
- "Marketing and Distribution Law: How to Avoid Litigation and Use the Law as a Management Tool", Commerce Magazine, December, 1986
- Developed and Moderated, "Negotiating Mergers and Acquisitions of Privately - Held Companies" Dec. 1990, New Jersey ICLE Seminar,
- "Legal Aspects of Starting and Running a Small Business," Annual Workshop Presentations/Small Business Development Center, Kean College, 1990 - Present
- "How to Maximize the Value of Your Business and Exit on Your Own Terms", The Geneva Companies, November 1, 1994
- "Selling a Business for the Most Profit": Jointly Sponsored with Rutgers University and The Geneva Companies, May 1, 1996, August 15, 1997, August 14, 2001, August 16, 2001, August 23, 2001, February 28, 2002, March 12, 2002, March 13, 2002
- "Selling Your Business for the Most Profit, How... When... and Why", Jointly Sponsored with U.S. Chamber of Commerce and The Geneva Companies, March 13, 1997
- "Legal Aspects of Buying a Business" Workshop Presentations for the New Jersey Small Business Development Center, Kean College, 1995
- Speaker, "Employment Law Issues for Data Processing Professionals", Data Processing Management Association, 1990
- Speaker, "Wrongful Discharge and Other Current Employment Law Issues", National Association of Accountants, Morris-Essex Chapter, 1990
- Speaker, "Employment Contracts and Restrictive Covenants" Seminar Presentation, Employment Law Council, 1990
- Speaker, "The Impact of Environmental Law on Commercial Lending" Seminar Presentation, First Fidelity Bank, 1990
- Speaker, "Employment Law: Current Issues", Matawan-Aberdeen Chamber of Commerce, 1990
- Speaker, "Wrongful Discharge", Jersey Shore Association of Human Resources, 1991
- Speaker, "Seventy Cents Does Not Equal a Dollar - The Earnings Gap", Business and Professional Women Association, Berkeley Hgts. Chap., 1991
- Speaker, "Negotiation", New Jersey Association of Women Business Owners, Middlesex Chap., 1991
- Speaker, "Legal Liability of Consulting Chemists", Association of Consulting Chemists and Chemical Engineers, 1991
- Speaker, "What It's Worth: Valuing Your Business" Seminar Presentation, New Jersey Association of Women Business Owners, 1991
- Speaker, "Legal Liability Concerns of Mechanical Engineers", American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Management Chapter, 1991
- Speaker, "Effect of 1986 Tax Reform Act on Entrepreneurs and Venture Capitalists", Venture Association of New Jersey, 1986
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Essex County Bar Association Corporate Law Committee, Chairperson, 1989 - 1990
- American Bar Association, Member, 1979 - Present
- New Jersey Bar Association, Member, 1979 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- Norris, McLaughlin & Marcus, Partner, 1993 - 1998
- Weiner Lesniak, Partner, 1990 - 1993
- Gutkin, Miller, Shapiro & Selesner, Associate then Partner, 1982 - 1989
- Arthur, Dry & Kalish, Associate, 1979 - 1982
Pro Bono Activities
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees - Foundation for Free Enterprise, 2004 - 2006
- Chairman of the Advisory Board to the Village School for Children, Inc, 1988 - 1989
- Wyckoff Recreation Dept.: Coach of Boys Soccer, Baseball & Basketball, 1990 - 1999