On Tuesday, a judge said that the lawsuit of a former star on the hit TV show, “Desperate Housewives,” against ABC and the show’s executive producer, Marc Cherry, could proceed to a jury trial. Nicollette Sheridan filed the lawsuit against the network and the show’s creator in April 2010 claiming that Cherry sexually harassed her, hit her during an altercation, and fired her in retaliation for complaining about her treatment to her employers.
Sheridan claims her character was unlawfully cut from the show in retaliation for her complaints. Her character, Edie Britt, was killed in a car accident in the middle of the show’s season.
On Tuesday, the judge listened for awhile to arguments and then announced that there was enough to the case to present it to a jury at trial. The judge tossed out claims of sexual harassment and assault, but said that the lawsuit could proceed to trial with its claims of wrongful termination, battery and unlawful retaliation. She is seeking punitive damages. The trial will begin on June 8.
Attorneys for ABC and Cherry deny that Cherry ever hit Sheridan. They say that they are confident that after the jury listens to witnesses and hears the facts, the jury will see things their way. They also point out that many of Sheridan’s original claims in her lawsuit have been tossed out by the courts so far.
Nicollette Sheridan told The Seattle Times that she was happy to be getting her day in court. Look out CBS — maybe her case will inspire Charlie Sheen.
Judge clears ‘Housewives’ firing lawsuit for trial (The Seattle Times)